The Jacaranda

This is an old one, but very dear to my heart. Writen in 1996


 If you ever come here, 
when I have walked my path 
look at this Jacaranda * 
and you shall remember me 
If you ever come back here 
when I´m gone 
listen to the cardinal that nests in it´s branches 
If you ever return here when my time is over 
breath deep the wet soil 
 If you ever think of me 
come back here and look at the street 
upholstered with a carpet of violet petals 
If you ever, when I’m dead, remember me 
come here and sit under it´s shadow
 Let it´s branches shelter you, 
it´s shadow protect you, 
It will tell you I have cried for you 
and in the night I have screamed your name.

 * Jacaranda is a tree with purple flowers in the spring, very common in Mexico City.
 Si alguna vez vienes aquí, 
cuando yo haya andado mi camino.
 mira esta jacaranda y me recordarás 
Si alguna vez vuelves aquí 
cuando me haya ido 
escucha al pequeño cardenal que anida en sus ramas. 
Si alguna vez regresas aquí , 
 cuando mi tiempo haya terminado, 
aspira hondo la tierra mojada. 
 Si alguna vez piensas en mí 
 regresa aquí y mira la calle tapizada
 con una alfombra de pétalos violaceos. 
Si alguna vez cuando haya muerto me recuerdas, 
ven aqui y siéntate bajo la sombra de mi jacaranda. 
Que sus ramas te cobijen, que su sombra te proteja. 
Ella te contará que he llorado por ti,
 que en la noche he gritado tu nombre.

Comments

mikimbizii said…
Dear Eipar

My name is Jeena and I was searching for some lines to describe a Jacaranda tree and I stumbled onto your blog. Your poem is splendid and mellifluous.

I am planning to start an orkut community dedicated to Jacaranda trees anyone who enjoy unusually sublime and beautiful things in life like ferns, pebbles, turtles etc can join.

I am seeking your permission to publish your poem 'Jacaranda' in this community page that I wish to open soon. Your name and the link to your blog will be given along with it.
Hope you will look into my request.
Thank you very much
Jeena.
Thank you so much Jeena I'm very sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I would be honored if you use my poem the only thing that I request is that you give me credit for it and if you could send me the link to it. :)
thank you so much again.
Catalina

Popular Posts